Saturday, September 7, 2019

Shapes Up

I like including board games in my teaching. I have been teaching some games this week so they can be included in independent stations later on in the year. We have also been practicing how to rotate between stations and how to clean up and take care and be respectful of Ms G's things- all the necessary procedures to make stations work and they can learn my expectations.

Here are some of the reasons I use board games:

1. Learning the rules helps them put their thinking caps on to strategize, or figure out ways to score points.
2. Board games are about strategizing and planning ahead. Not only do they have to focus on their moves, but they also have to focus on their opponents and the moves they are making.
3. Some games require them to think and make decisions quickly.
4. Logic, reasoning, and problem solving are major components of the board games I include. This is helpful in academics and when they get older, in the work place.
5. Board games also help them work with others, be on teams, and make collective decisions.


Shapes Up is a great problem solving game, the rules are easy to learn and I was able to teach the kids pretty fast. I bought 2 sets of this game in case we have a game day- which is something they can earn through Class Bingo ( I will have a post on this in the future!) , I can have more groups playing. There can be 2-4 players which is nice for different size of groups during stations.

The game is about $20 on Amazon, and a great resource in the classroom!


-Sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment