Sunday, September 8, 2019

Reading the ads

Here is an example of something I implement into math stations. 

Reading the ads!


This provides SO MUCH real world math for them- and when I email their parents of things we are doing in the classroom I hope that when they see it and go shopping with their kids that they engage in conversation of prices! 

This was the first time exposing them to the ads, so I had them brainstorm planning a picnic and just writing down how much things cost. We had to talk about the difference between $1.25 and 79 cents. We had to have a conversation about where the decimal point goes when it is listed as cents.

I have a list of multiple different math stations, so they will see this one 1 week out of a month. I have so many meals  they will plan and different ways to manipulate the numbers. 

For the first week of planning a meal I will have them plan a picnic, write down all the prices and add them up. 
The next time they see this station I will have them plan lunches for the week with 3 different options. 
They will then practice rounding up to the nearest 10. Since they learn rounding in 3rd grade this may be a concept that we work on for a couple months. 
With my 5th graders I may tell them how much they can spend, and what cash they will get back! 





Some meals they will plan over the course of the year:
A BBQ
Taco Night
Grilled Burgers
Sunday morning Breakfast
3 different lunches for the week     
and these are just a few, I have so many more ideas! 





No comments:

Post a Comment